CACWA is the Washington State Chapter of the National Children's Alliance (NCA). NCA is the national membership and accrediting organization for Children's Advocacy Centers. As a chapter, we agree to meet standards that include providing training and technical assistance to existing and developing centers, having a plan for the growth and sustainability of Children's Advocacy Centers in this state, and providing a sound, well-managed organization that provides a voice and support for Children's Advocacy Centers.
Children's Advocacy Centers offer a new way of serving abused children through a comprehensive approach to services for victims and their families. These programs are designed by professionals and volunteers responding to the needs of their own communities. Children's Advocacy Centers emphasize coordination of investigation and intervention services by bringing together professionals and agencies as a multidisciplinary team to create a child-focused approach to child abuse cases. The goal is to ensure that children are not revictimized by the very system designed to protect them.
Keep in Touch with CACWA:
Read our February, 2012 Newsletter Here
CACWA offers the following services to existing Children's Advocacy Centers and communities wishing to establish Children's Advocacy Centers:
- Training and technical assistance
- Mentoring by experienced CAC staff in nearby communities
- Site visits to existing CACs
- Technical assistance manuals and materials
- Information on research and best practices
- Information regarding funding sources for start-up, training, and operations
- Advocacy on legislative issues and policies affecting children and families
- Coordination with statewide, regional, and national advocacy groups
Many Children's Advocacy Centers in Washington have adopted Darkness to Light's Stewards of Children™ prevention program to help prevent child sexual abuse in their communities.
Stewards of Children™ is a revolutionary sexual abuse prevention training program that educates adults to prevent, recognize, and react responsibly to child sexual abuse, and motivates them to courageous action. Stewards of Children™ is designed for organizations that serve children and youth, and any and all adults interested in protecting children.
The curriculum can be used by organizations and corporations who are:
- Seeking training for staff and volunteers in the prevention of child sexual abuse.
- Wanting to make a difference in their community by educating adults about the protection of children.
- Needing to respond to insurance requirements regarding child protection.
- Wanting to enhance community training initiatives and develop potential sources of revenue.
The program includes:
- An interactive workbook and a 7 Steps Guide for each participant containing the full program curriculum
- An accompanying 75-minute VHS/DVD integrating segments of sexual abuse survivors relating their stories of violation and healing, with segments from the author of the curriculum and from professionals who interface daily with the problem of sexual abuse
- Opportunity for discussion about important issues in sexual abuse prevention and the relevance of these issues within organizations that serve children and adolescents.
After training participants will:
- Understand the facts of child sexual abuse - incidence rates and effects on individuals and society
- Understand how child sexual abuse happens
- Understand that adults are responsible for the protection of children
- Understand the importance of screening staff/volunteers who work with children and adolescents
- Understand the importance of a well conceived one-adult/one-child policy
- Have resources to react responsibly to incidents of child sexual abuse
- Understand the proactive role youth-serving organizations need to take to protect children and educate their communities about child sexual abuse
Contact CACWA to find a facilitator who can conduct this training in your community. You may also complete the training online at Darkness to Light. Stewards of Children™ is a copyrighted program of Darkness to Light.
CACWA is actively involved in improving the response to child abuse in Washington. For more information, please follow the links below: